Tragedy hit Alice’s family seven years ago when her six-months-old daughter choked on food.
It was the worst of times.
However, her pain gave birth to an initiative that has saved the lives of thousands of babies and adults since.
Alice started Amara Initiative, a programme named after her late daughter, and which teaches families basic first aid skills, the very skills that could have saved her child’s life.
"I realised that a majority of people do not know what to do in case of an emergency. The life of a child who is choking can be lost in six minutes if they do not get help."
“I realised that a majority of people do not know what to do in case of an emergency. The life of a child who is choking can be lost in six minutes if they do not get help,” she says.
She also found that only about two out of 10 parents have first aid skills. The rest would be at sea if they were confronted with an emergency.
“Safety training is a skill that everyone needs,” says Alice.
“It is only through this that people can fill the existing gaps that make it hard for casualties to get first aid as they wait for professional care.”
So far, Alice and her organisation have trained over 5,000 people in homes, schools, churches and other organised groups on paediatric life support.
“All our trainers are certified emergency medical workers,” she says.
Away from Amara Initiative, Alice, a human resource professional, loves travelling and cooking.
She has a Master’s degree in human resource management and her message to top executives is this; “there is enough space for all of us to rise.
“You don’t need to pull anyone down to climb, lift each other up and you will be better and stronger rising together.”